Trump meets with national security officials as he weighs next steps on Iran
Trump Meets with National Security Officials as He Weighs Next Steps on Iran
Trump meets with national security officials – On Friday, President Donald Trump convened a meeting with senior US national security figures to evaluate potential strategies regarding the conflict with Iran, as confirmed by an individual with insider knowledge. The session, a regular occurrence under Trump’s administration, unfolded against the backdrop of ongoing diplomatic efforts to achieve a resolution to the ongoing war. Despite the meeting’s conclusion, no final decision was reached on the next course of action, though Secretary of State Marco Rubio hinted at possible developments later in the day.
As the negotiations continued, officials from Qatar and Pakistan traveled to Tehran, aiming to facilitate a resolution to the ongoing conflict. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ismail Baghaei disclosed this move through IRNA’s Friday report. Pakistan’s Army Chief Asim Munir and Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi held a late-night discussion to address “preventing escalation” and the broader conflict, IRNA noted on Saturday morning. Munir reengaged with Araghchi on Saturday, alongside Iran’s chief negotiator Mohammad Ghalibaf, to further explore pathways toward de-escalation.
“We were in the middle of negotiations when America started the war, and now it says let’s negotiate to end it. We were in a ceasefire that you (Munir) mediated, and America violated the agreement by imposing a naval blockade, and now it wants to lift it!”
During these talks, Iran’s chief negotiator Mohammad Ghalibaf emphasized the country’s resolve, stating, “We were in the middle of negotiations when America started the war, and now it says let’s negotiate to end it. We were in a ceasefire that you (Munir) mediated, and America violated the agreement by imposing a naval blockade, and now it wants to lift it!” Ghalibaf also warned, “If Trump makes the mistake of restarting the war, it will definitely be more crushing and bitter for America than the first day of the war,” highlighting the potential consequences of renewed hostilities.
Meanwhile, Qatar’s Foreign Minister, Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, communicated with Araghchi during a phone call, expressing concerns about Tehran’s use of the Strait of Hormuz as a geopolitical tool. According to a Qatari account of the conversation, Al Thani stated that Iran’s actions would “yield nothing but a deepening of the current crisis and putting the vital interests of the region’s countries at risk.” This aligns with the US stance, as Rubio reiterated that the goal is to have the Strait of Hormuz reopened “without tolls” and for Iran to surrender its enriched uranium stockpiles. He also asserted that Iran “can never have a nuclear weapon,” underscoring the administration’s commitment to containing the country’s nuclear ambitions.
“Even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done,” Rubio said, talking to reporters on a trip to India. “There is a chance that, whether it’s later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say.”
Rubio’s comments reflect the administration’s ongoing efforts to navigate the complex dynamics of the crisis. The White House has been pressing for a diplomatic solution, with the president’s preference consistently leaning toward negotiated agreements. “That’s what we’re working on right now, but this problem will be solved as the president’s may have been made clear one way or the other,” Rubio added, signaling that the outcome remains uncertain.
Trump’s decision to remain in Washington, D.C., during this critical period has drawn attention. Earlier in the week, he had expressed concerns about the timing of his son’s wedding, citing “Everything called Iran and other things.” This led to the cancellation of his planned trip to his New Jersey golf resort and his absence at the Bahamas ceremony, as he prioritized the national security meeting. In a message posted on Truth Social, Trump explained, “I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time,” emphasizing his dedication to the country’s interests over personal events.
The Friday meeting included Vice President JD Vance and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, who played key roles in shaping the administration’s approach. Gen. Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, referenced the Oval Office session during his remarks at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, highlighting the urgency of the situation. However, the exact details of the discussions remain unclear, as Trump has yet to finalize a strategy.
Trump’s frustration with the pace of negotiations is well documented. Earlier this week, he set a loose deadline for Iran to submit a suitable offer to end the war by early next week. While some officials have expressed cautious optimism, the sticking points—such as the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz and Iran’s nuclear program—continue to pose challenges. The US intelligence community has reported that Iran is accelerating its military industrial base, already producing drones and advancing its strategic capabilities.
Amid these developments, the international community watches closely. The Biden administration had previously engaged in talks to ease tensions, but Trump’s approach has introduced a new dynamic. The standoff has been marked by alternating periods of diplomatic engagement and military readiness, with the president threatening to order strikes earlier in the week, only to hold back at the urging of Gulf nations.
The stakes of the situation are high, as both sides seek to assert their positions. Iran’s leaders have accused the US of double standards, pointing to the abrupt shift from imposing sanctions to seeking a ceasefire. Meanwhile, the US aims to secure concessions that would limit Iran’s influence in the region. As the meetings continue, the outcome will depend on whether Trump’s team can bridge the gap between the two nations’ objectives.
With the White House focused on assembling a consensus, the next steps in the Iran conflict remain unpredictable. The nation’s top officials are working tirelessly to find a solution, but the pressure from the battlefield and the political landscape continues to shape the direction of the talks. For now, the situation lingers in a state of uncertainty, as the world waits for clarity on how Trump will proceed.
CNN’s Laura Sharman contributed to this report.
