Trend

Military drills between US and South Korea cut short at Washington’s request

Foto : Susan Anderson - goldlaner.com
Daftar Isi
  1. Military Drills Between US and South Korea Cut Short
  2. Related Reading
  3. Frequently Asked Questions

Military Drills Between US and South Korea Cut Short

Goldlaner.com – The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise — the largest combined training event linking American and South Korean forces — was abruptly halved at the direction of the White House. What had been scheduled as a ten-day operation beginning Monday will now wrap up Friday, August 21, per statements from both militaries. The move came days after President Donald Trump publicly called for a reduction, citing what he framed as a warm personal rapport with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Pentagon Framing

A senior defense official detailed the scope of changes in a written release, noting the adjustment was executed under presidential and Secretary of Defense direction. Live-fire and field events were scaled back; some were cancelled outright while others were converted into simulation-based modules.

“Based on direction from the President and Secretary of War, the Department has substantially reduced Exercise Ulchi Freedom Shield while continuing training that enhances tactical capability.”

The official added that essential readiness objectives would be preserved and that “there will be no degradation to US training objectives.”

Seoul’s Response

South Korea’s defense ministry confirmed the partial adjustment to duration and scale came at Washington’s explicit request. President Lee Jae Myung addressed the matter on Tuesday, stressing that the exercises were never designed to provoke Pyongyang.

“The drills were not intended to heighten tension on the Korean Peninsula,” Lee said, describing them as “a defensive exercise” aimed at preserving peace and protecting civilian lives.

He pledged that South Korea would “maintain an unwavering state of readiness” regardless of the trimmed schedule. Seoul’s military leadership announced Wednesday that the two allies would collaborate to “discuss and implement various measures to achieve the goals of UFS exercise and establish combined defense posture going forward.”

Trump’s Stated Rationale

In a Truth Social post on Sunday, Trump said he had directed Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth to trim the exercises, citing his “very good relationship” with Kim and arguing that full-scale military drills between US and South Korean forces sent a “totally inappropriate and hostile” signal to North Korea. He also pointed to what he framed as Seoul’s failure to assist the United States in the ongoing Iran conflict as a factor in his calculus.

Trump further claimed North Korea has been “unthreatening and respectful” throughout his presidency — a characterization that sits uneasily with the steady expansion of Pyongyang’s nuclear arsenal and missile program over recent years.

Pyongyang’s Reaction

Kim had not issued a public comment on the reduction as of Wednesday. However, North Korea’s state broadcaster KCNA published an article that Wednesday morning — before news of the shortened schedule broke — labeling the annual exercises “the most immediate and open threat” to both Pyongyang and broader regional security. The piece echoed a long-standing North Korean position that large-scale combined training functions as a rehearsal for invasion.

What the Exercise Was Designed to Do

Ulchi Freedom Shield anchors the annual combined training cycle between two nations bound by a mutual defense treaty signed more than seven decades ago. South Korea hosts Camp Humphreys, the largest American military installation outside the continental United States, and the drills are structured to keep that force ready across a range of contingencies.

This year’s iteration was tailored to address North Korea’s evolving force structure. A US Forces Korea spokesperson explained last week that the exercise incorporated modules aimed at countering drone swarms, GPS jamming, and cyber-attack scenarios. At least 18,000 South Korean service members were slated to participate before the schedule was altered.

Alliance Strain

The decision to halve the drills has intensified debate over how much weight Washington places on personal diplomacy with Pyongyang relative to treaty obligations to Seoul. Since Trump’s first term, North Korea has added an estimated dozens of nuclear war

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Military drills between US and South?

Military drills between US and South is the main topic of this guide. The article explains the context, practical details, and next steps readers should understand.

Why does Military drills between US and South matter?

Military drills between US and South matters because readers are looking for a useful answer, not just a short summary. Good content should match search intent and help them decide what to do next.

Susan Anderson - goldlaner.com

Susan Anderson - goldlaner.com

Susan Anderson is a technology journalist who specializes in cybersecurity, online privacy, and digital risk management. Her work helps readers understand the importance of protecting personal and organizational data in an increasingly connected world.

At Goldlaner, Susan writes educational and analytical articles about cyber threats, data protection strategies, and evolving security technologies.

She has collaborated with security researchers and IT professionals to bring accurate and practical insights to readers interested in digital safety.