Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain
Daftar Isi
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain
Goldlaner.com – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are preparing to relocate from California to a private residence outside London later this month, according to reporting first carried by UK newspaper The Telegraph. Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to the UK means enrolling their two young children — Prince Archie, now 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5 — in British schools for the upcoming term. CNN understands the couple has already begun the practical steps of the transition, including securing housing and confirming school placements.
King Charles was first made aware of the relocation plans on Sunday, which indicates the matter was not raised or discussed during the couple’s family visit to the UK in July. The King is said to welcome the opportunity to see more of the Sussex family in a private and personal capacity. He has made clear that there will be no change to the Duke and Duchess’s status as private individuals and non-working members of the royal family.
Background on the Couple’s Departure and Return
The couple left the UK for North America in 2020 after stepping back from royal duties. In interviews and memoirs since then, they cited tabloid intrusion, racism within British institutions, sustained online abuse, and complex family dynamics as factors behind their departure. Harry has made several trips back to the UK in the intervening years, including for the funeral of his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II in 2022 and the coronation of his father King Charles III the following year. His September visit last year included his first in-person meeting with his father in 19 months.
During the July family visit, King Charles and Queen Camilla hosted Harry, Meghan, Prince Archie, and Princess Lilibet at Highgrove House, the King’s private country residence in Gloucestershire, England. It marked the first time in four years that the King had seen the entire family together, the previous occasion being the late Queen Elizabeth’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations. Harry’s July itinerary also included several charity engagements, among them events marking the one-year countdown to the Invictus Games, the Paralympic-style sporting competition for injured servicemembers and veterans that he established more than a decade ago.
The decision for Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain comes after a protracted legal dispute over security. Last year, Harry challenged the British government’s decision to downgrade his level of taxpayer-funded protection following his step back from royal life. After losing the court case, he described being “devastated” in an interview with the BBC and said the ruling made it “impossible” for him to return to the UK with his wife and children. The new arrangement appears to sidestep that obstacle by placing the family in a private residence rather than a royal or official setting.
CNN has reached out to the Sussexes for comment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where exactly are Prince Harry and Meghan moving? Reports indicate a private residence outside London, not a royal palace or official property. The couple will remain non-working members of the royal family.
When are the children starting school? Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet are reportedly enrolled in British schools for the coming term, with the relocation expected later this month.
Will King Charles take on any new role for the couple? No. The King has confirmed there will be no change to their status as private individuals. He simply welcomes the chance to see the family more often in a personal capacity.