Four bystanders tackle knife-wielding driver after car plows into crowd in Italy
Italian Civilians Courageously Subdue Knife-Wielding Perpetrator Following Crowd Collision in Modena
Four bystanders tackle knife wielding driver – On Saturday, a dramatic turn of events unfolded in Modena, Italy, as a vehicle struck multiple pedestrians before four local residents intervened to subdue the driver, who was wielding a knife. The city’s mayor, Massimo Mezzetti, confirmed that the assailant, described as a “madman,” emerged from the car brandishing the weapon and was swiftly apprehended by civilians. “The criminal who committed this act got out of the vehicle with a knife in hand,” Mezzetti stated during a press briefing with RAI, the state-owned news agency. “Four citizens, whom I wish to commend, captured him and passed him to the police.” The incident, which occurred on Via Emilia—a bustling thoroughfare in the northern Italian city—left several pedestrians injured, with the severity of the harm escalating to life-threatening conditions for at least one individual.
A Violent Encounter with Life-Threatening Consequences
The public prosecutor of Modena reported that two victims required amputation of their lower limbs following the collision, one of whom is currently in critical condition. The remaining five individuals sustained varying degrees of serious injuries, including fractures and deep lacerations. “The force of the impact was extreme, and the woman who was struck was pinned against the front of a shop,” said an eyewitness to Reuters. “Her legs were completely severed as the car collided with her.” According to the witness, the driver’s intent was clear, as he attempted to flee the scene after the crash. “He smashed her right up against the shop window,” the observer added, highlighting the chaos that followed.
“The man was also armed with a knife; they showed courage and great civic sense.” – Mayor Massimo Mezzetti
Amid the turmoil, four civilians emerged as heroes. Their quick action not only halted the attacker but also prevented further harm. “When they threw him to the ground, one was slightly injured by the knife,” Mezzetti noted, emphasizing the bravery of the individuals involved. The mayor described the driver as a “madman,” though the exact motivations remain under investigation. This act of bravery was echoed by Luca Signorelli, a witness who recounted his experience with Reuters. “I was helping a woman who had been badly injured by the car when the driver tried to escape,” Signorelli said. “I chased him, and others joined in to assist.” The driver, after evading capture for a moment, reappeared holding the knife and sparked a brief confrontation.
“A fight broke out. I was stabbed twice, once in the heart and once in the head. I managed to dodge one of the two, and during the other one I grabbed his wrist and blocked him.” – Luca Signorelli
The attacker, a 31-year-old man, has been detained by local authorities. His background includes a degree in business administration, though he is currently unemployed. Prefect Fabrizio Triolo, who provided further details at a press conference, mentioned that the suspect was referred to a mental health facility in 2022 for schizoid personality disorder. “At the time of his arrest, he was not under the influence of psychotropic substances, so he appeared to be lucid,” Triolo explained. This detail adds complexity to the case, as investigators work to determine whether the attack was premeditated or a spontaneous act of violence.
Leaders Respond to the Crisis
Italy’s Prime Minister, Giorgia Meloni, made an urgent trip to Modena on Sunday to visit the hospital and meet with one of the injured individuals who had confronted the driver. Her presence underscored the gravity of the situation, as she described the incident as “extremely serious” in a social media post. “I express my closeness to the injured,” she wrote, highlighting her concern for the victims. Meanwhile, the Foreign Minister, Antonio Tajani, also issued a statement on social media, communicating with the interior minister to gather additional information. “I want to thank the law enforcement for apprehending the suspect,” Tajani said, expressing solidarity with the city’s efforts.
“I want to thank these citizens. The man was also armed with a knife; they showed courage and great civic sense.” – Mayor Massimo Mezzetti
Triolo added that the suspect had been observed for a period but had since fallen off the radar. “The investigative scenario is obviously evolving, and we cannot provide further information on this matter,” he noted, indicating that the case is still unfolding. The timing of the attack, approximately 4:53 p.m. local time, was deemed the “peak time of day” for residents and shoppers, a factor that may have influenced the perpetrator’s choice of moment. This timing increased the potential for harm, as the driver could have targeted a large number of people in the city’s heart.
Victims and Medical Response
Dr. Lesley De Pietri, the head of the Anesthesia and Intensive Care Unit at Baggiovara Civil Hospital, shared updates on the medical condition of the injured. She confirmed that two of the victims are in “extremely serious condition” and remain hospitalized. The other five individuals, while critically hurt, are recovering under observation. “The force of the collision was so severe that it resulted in multiple amputations,” De Pietri said, underscoring the severity of the incident. The medical team is working tirelessly to stabilize the victims, some of whom have been hospitalized for several days.
Authorities also revealed that two tourists, hailing from Germany and Poland, were among those affected by the attack. Their injuries, though not as severe as those of the others, added an international dimension to the tragedy. The public prosecutor emphasized that the suspect targeted three men as he attempted to flee the scene, resulting in one of them being stabbed during the confrontation. This sequence of events highlights the driver’s determination to escape and his readiness to use the knife against anyone in his path.
Broader Implications and Ongoing Investigations
As the investigation into the motive behind the attack continues, officials are examining all possible angles. The suspect’s history of mental health issues, including his referral to a psychiatric facility in 2022, is now a focal point for prosecutors. “We are looking into whether his condition influenced the attack,” Triolo said, suggesting a potential link between the driver’s behavior and his psychological state. The timing of the incident, which occurred during a high-traffic hour, may also be scrutinized to determine if the perpetrator planned the assault meticulously.
Triolo further noted that the suspect is a second-generation Italian, born in Bergamo, which adds a layer of complexity to the case. “The investigative scenario is evolving, and we cannot provide further details yet,” he reiterated, emphasizing the need for more information as the inquiry progresses. Meanwhile, the mayor praised the citizens who intervened, calling their actions “courageous” and “a testament to civic responsibility.”
The incident has sparked a broader conversation about public safety and the role of everyday citizens in emergencies. “In moments of crisis, people often rise to the occasion,” Mezzetti reflected. “Their actions today have saved lives and prevented further casualties.” As the city processes the aftermath, the focus remains on the victims and the suspect, with updates expected from the police in the coming days. The story of Modena’s car ramming and the subsequent confrontation with the driver serves as a powerful reminder of both the dangers of sudden violence and the resilience of the community in the face of it.
